I highly recommend doing a three day two night tour as if you are just doing one night on board a ship around Halong Bay, it goes by way too quick. The final destination for the second night is Cat Ba Island, farther south from where we were the first night, but the view is just as stunning. Plus, you get to stay at a bungalow on an island with less than 50 people ( depending on how big your tour group is) at a drastic fraction of what this luxury would cost in Hawaii or other tropical destinations.

The intricate process of planting a pearl
We also went to a Pearl Farm today where we got to see pearls being planted into oyster shells. There's only a 40% success rate, yet the process is very detail oriented and tedious to plant the 'seed' into the oyster. It was a quick tour but you were able to buy pearls after too. It wasn't too exciting for me as I knew I wouldn't be making any purchases, and it felt like a tourist gig to make you shop. Though, the knowledge I did cue into was interesting to say the least.

Unique formations on the way
Can't believe this hasn't fallen over
My highlight of today was going biking at Cat Ba National Park where we got to ride to the Viet Hai Village. Vietnamese people settled here way back when and the population is only around 500 if I recalled right. I asked our guide if anyone ever leaves this island and he said no and I couldn't understand. I think I've become too much of a city gal to ever be able to stay still and just settle on some random island and start farming. Despite my comical perspective, it was neat to see them grow only organic fruits and vegetables for themselves as they don't sell any of their plants. I got to see various chilli peppers, taro, lychee, rice and sticky rice plantations which was really educational. I didn't know bettlenuts grow on trees did you?

What really made this experience was the actual biking part. I haven't biked in years, and doubling up on a tandem five years ago doesn't count as that wasn't a very smart move for someone who hasn't biked since possibly junior high school. I don't know why I kept away from biking and partaking in outdoor sports (perhaps my dislike of gym class in grade school?) but biking reminded me of how exhilarating and thrillingly fun it can be. I was very wobbly and unstable at first, but once I got my balance down, everything came back naturally except for going uphill where I had to get off my bike to push it up. I don't have the greatest stamina getting back into things right away, but I'm glad I didn't just quit or chicken out either. I only regret not taking any photos of the mesmerizing view biking through the limestone formations as I was highly concentrated on biking and keeping my balance. It felt like learning to drive all over again as I was worried that even turning my head back to check my blind spots would end in me colliding into something or someone. Thankfully that didn't happen and the rush of adrenaline already has made me anticipating for the next chance to bike. Its so awesome that Ive gained so many opportunities to accomplish so much physical activities while travelling as Im usually not like this. Yet, I'm really appreciating this adventurous and outdoorsy spirit of mine and I hope it stays even when I'm back home.

On another note, I'm so turning into a beach girl. I love the tranquil and calm aspect of just getting lost gazing into the water, the surroundings and the horizon. It feels as if time stops just for you to capture these moments eternally and what better way than on such a peaceful and quiet island which makes it seem  like its just you and the world ahead? Its been such a blessing and I feel so ridiculously blessed its overwhelming.