After an hour long ferry ride, three hour humid shuttle bus, and finally an air conditioned taxi ride, I couldn't have been happier to settle in Ubud (pronounced like the title of this post and not oo-bud as I originally thought). Ubud is the hub of Balinese culture as it's the central hotspot for tourists-with the influx of travelers
steady especially after Eat Pray Love was filmed. I stayed at a private room bungalow for a night and the line up view of fresh and green rice paddies outside my bedroom was glorious to wake up to. Ubud literally has hundreds of accomodation options for you to choose from. For a cheap rate, you can get a nice room with breakfast commonly known as "homestay" though it's basically just a bungalow or home locals rent out with separate doors and bathrooms for each room (mine even had a basic stove setup).

This sounds crazy, but the sight of toilet paper and a legit toilet brought joy to my bathroom duties (wasn't kidding when I said previous facilities on that tour was terrible). Another common thing Ubud and in general Bali is known for are spas. There are people handing out pamphlets all along Monkey Forest Road and the surrounding area. You really have to compare prices though as one place can vary drastically from the next and I wouldn't pay more than 150000 rupiah (~$13) for a massage when you can spot rates as low as 55000 rupiah. Of course service level and facilities may differ too, but at the ceiling rate, you already are getting so much more than what a massage would cost back in North America. Upon arrival I got a Balinese style massage shortly after settling it. I really just needed to pamper myself and feel relieved from tension from the horrific commute the past few days. I felt so relaxed the whole time and I even got to shower right after to wash off the oil (for your reference I went to Ubud Wellness Spa and paid what I suggested as tops).

Picking bugs and eating them off each other
A mom nursing her young!

I started today at The Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary and it brought forth an unexpectedness of immense joy! Besides being a tourist attraction, it's first and foremost a natural habitat for the long tail macaques and they have over 500 of them currently. I had read up on them being quite mischievous beings as they aren't afraid of humans and will even jump on you if they spot you with food or plastic of any sort. I was just holding my water bottle upon entering when this monkey jumped on my stomach to try to grab it. I had an initial freak out, but afterwards I came to adore these little monkeys. They ARE so human-like from observation, from catching a mom nurse her little one to seeing them pick bugs off each other, cuddle and fight, they are so adorable. So despite my precautions of putting my water bottle away, one monkey kept following and grabbing onto me because he/she thought the tassel on my bag resembled a banana-it was hilarious to bystanders but quite humorously annoying to me. You would think I had enough of the monkeys by the end of it, but I decided to buy some bananas to feed them, and I got even more attacked. One monkey jumped on my head and started pulling at my hair and yet another one slapped my leg when I tried to snatch the banana back!! They are such rebellious creatures! If you don't have a phobia of monkeys, definitely come here for some entertainment, but just try not to be a target yourself haha.

Afterwards I went to the Ubud Palace which wasn't so exciting so I just snapped some photos and went on my way. However, I lingered way too long at the Ubud Market. I'm a sucker for local and hand crafted ethnic good so I spent more than expected for souvenirs and clothing for myself. If I didn't have luggage and budget restraints, I probably would've went even crazier. What I learnt is to always bargain and be firm on what price you want as they jack prices up expecting tourists to bargain. Also, never ask for the price of an item unless you intend to buy it, the seller will keep pestering you if you walk away and some would try continually persuading me to buy it saying it's "badluck" if I didn't purchase from them. I also really like checking out Ubud's scene of boutiques in the area. It's too high for my budget, but I love window shopping and asking questions about locally designed products and asking to take photos of unique designs, displays and interiors. One shop that stood out to me was far from Balinese and when I asked the employee, she said the owner is French; I wasn't surprise as the aesthetic was so different.

So onto Balinese food. It's so good! I've been sick of Nasi Goreng and other stereotypical Indo dishes so I ventured into restaurants to try some authentic dishes and it didn't disappoint. I had 'soto medan' my first night and it's basically a coconut curry based soup with sliced chicken, vermicilli, and other vegetables. It was light, but flavourful and I can't wait to have it again. Another dish I had was at Ibu Rai, a popular restaurant named after a women who owned a famous warung (food stall) at one point on Monkey Forest Road (just pass the football field going up and recommended to me by a boutique employee). The exterior and interior of this place is gorgeous and adorned with bright colour and rustic furniture. Initially I wanted to try this 'crispy duck' dish I kept seeing on menus, but as I was  having an early lunch it wasn't ready yet as it takes quite some time to prepare this duck. Instead, the waitress recommended me this fish dish called 'Ikan Bakar Bumbu Bali' and I loved it! I didn't even know what it would be like at first, but I took my time savoring it as I am normally a fast eater. The fish was perfectly marinated and so soft and tender (if those words can be used to describe fish) and the turmeric flavoured rice, peanut chip, and well seasoned bean sprouts and veggies paired delectably on my palate.

 Last but not least, I got to have the duck before I left Ubud. When I finally received my order and took my first bite,  I realized why it takes up to half a day to prepare. It's so the duck is roasted so that it's literally crispy outside and inside so even the fine bones are crunchy and can be bitten and eaten as well. It was like fried chicken but duck and unforgettable. Maybe I got accustomed to hawker food stalls and food being next to instant as it would usually be half prepared prior to ordering, but I really appreciate Balinese food being made to order as it's really reflected in the taste and quality of the food. The cost of eating is higher compared to other SEA places as Bali is very touristy, but the environment and service is so much better too!