Today is my one month countdown.

Only 31 days left until I embark on this exchange journey of mine. The excitement is building and though I know I will be flying out soon, it hasn't "hit me" yet that I'm actually going for so long. Perhaps with all the Christmas hype and holiday gatherings going on lately, I haven't been able to process my departure, but it has definitely been nice being able to relax and not worry about school work or the coming term. Fortunately for me, I won't have to go back to school this Monday, in fact, I'll be school-free until I start my exchange. I will have this whole month to myself, despite a few events I am participating in and still quite a few tasks I have to get done before I depart, such as a handful of academic and personal issues I need to settle. Just minor tasks I need to do, yet because they are "minor," I keep putting them off.

Though the thrill of being an exchange student and traveling away from home for almost five months is there, I am quite torn by this decision as well. It's odd, but I feel like I'm anticipating homesickness already. Maybe not like "I want to go home" sort of thing while I'm in Seoul, but realizing all the events I'll be missing while I'm away from Edmonton, and all those friendly faces I see on a usual basis does bring a frown to my face. It's also ironic because I always complain about how boring Edmonton can be or how I rather live elsewhere, and now, I'm starting to appreciate all that Edmonton has to offer and festivities we have year round. It's what you make of where your living really.

Well, regardless, I know that my anticipation for all things half across the world triumphs the sorrow I feel when I think about the cons of leaving. This is a God given opportunity and I know I would be in terrible regret if I chose to withdraw from this once in a lifetime exchange. Being able to not only experience, but be immerse in a whole new culture, befriend new classmates and university clubs, eat authentic Korea food, shop on the street, travel to nearby cities and touristy destinations-all delights and fills me with a new found joy I would never be able to experience if I was situated at home.

I look forward to counting down each day and I pray that God will continue to provide and bless this journey.

P.S. I started watching a Korean drama called My Girl, upon recommendation from a friend and not only is the plot funny and entertaining, I find myself picking up words in their dialogues and learning some slang and common day to day phrases as well. They speak so fast, but hooray for subtitles!