It feels good to be back in the world of blogging after being isolated in Japan. The first two days there was no WiFi in our hotel as we were up in the hot springs/rural area (well there was a very crappy computer with turtle-slow connecting speed). Then the following two days, my laptop's battery died despite having WiFi, and my battery plugin wasn't compatible with the outlets in Osaka. Well, I guess that just made me aware of how reliant I am on technology, though it was nice just to journal as I embarked on my five day tour and have a full on cultural experience with minimal technology involved.

Thus, I will probably be doubling up on posts from now on or updating as much as I can each day about my previous five days. So much occurred and even though the tour started off kind of slow, the itinerary picked up speed as each day came and went, and now I'm back in HK again.

So why did I decide to visit Japan?

I have wanted to go to Japan since I was in grade two, having first studied about this little country, big population in Social Studies. Since I was seven, I have been fascinated with different cultures, and thought if I ever had the opportunity to travel to Japan, I would! Growing up, my auntie worked in Japan upon receiving her international business degree, yet, my family never visited her. I always thought I would follow my auntie's path and perhaps study abroad in Japan, but guess what, who knew Korea would be the chosen destination? Well, acknowledging the amount of time I would be spending across the Pacific Ocean, I had to include Japan somewhere into my approximate five month stay in Asia. After taking into factors of my student budget, length of the trip, specific destinations, and going on my own or with a tour (thankfully its the latter as my mom firmly advised I wouldn't be able to afford it on my own, and its true), we picked one that appealed to my friend and I.

(Day 1)

Fast forward, and I have arrived in the KIX (Kanzai International Airport) and was so overjoyed that I was actually in Japan. I kept smiling to myself and I was so anxious to get started on our tour plans. At the same time, I was quite reserved and held back as our tour consisted of couples. I had totally forgotten that our tour had fallen over Valentine's Day, so it wasn't like this wasn't expected. I'm glad my friend and I made the most of everything we did and didn't let such a miniscule aspect stop us from enjoying our tour. Who says you can't tour as friends right? Another thing was, that first night, we were staying in a hot spring hotel as I've mentioned earlier. The catch is, for Japan, going into the hot spring means wearing your birthday suit. WHAT?! I was so self conscious and I could literally feel my self esteem retreating every moment we inched closer to that item on the list. I wanted to be buried alive instead (I'll leave this topic for later)


Destination: Osaka, Japan
So the actual first item on our itinerary was shopping at Rinku Premium Outlets. If you ever been to the "Premium"outlets in the states, its basically the same layout and consisted of your typical high end stores such as Coach, Armani, etc. Major difference was that as this was in Japan, there were Japanese outlets as well. Though some items were beyond my modest budget, there were lots of cute pieces and well made garments I only wish I could buy down the road. Each store had a section of sale apparels that were not too bad in price, like the prices in Canada's shopping malls.

After that, we had our first Japanese meal. We were amazed at the layout and selection of our food upon sitting down. We had a little pot of vegetables, a bowl of miso soup, a tray of sashimi and sushi, a bowl of rice, and a juicy and sweet strawberry. It was abundant, and it was only our first meal.

With our tummies full, we arrived at Daiwa Royal hotel where we settled down and mentally and psychologically for our first Japanese hot spring experience (you can stop here if don't want to read about it).

I can rant on and on about this experience-the extent of my self consciousness, the trembling fears I held on to, and all the negative feelings that resided in me that day. Despite these previous anxieties, I won't be doing what I have listed. This is because now that I look back on my first nude hot spring, I feel as if I have surpassed myself and achieved something I could have easily passed up or made an excuse to not partake in. Also, I don't want you to turn this hot spring opportunity down if it ever comes your way. You might not believe me after having said all this, but I actually had a great time. Once you get over the initial awkwardness, you realize that everyone in your surroundings just minds their own business (even though you might think otherwise). As well, once you immerse yourself into the natural hot springs, you feel as if your being boiled in a very nice way. Its so relaxing and comfortable that you automatically begin to feel at ease. All the stress and tension you held on to prior to the burning sensation will vaporize as your body soaks. Its such a zen feel and so good for you too!

Best part was that before and after you enjoy your hot spring experience, you are provided with unlimited use of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, face cleanser, skin peel scrub, etc. There was coal infused as well as horse oil S&C for greasy and dry hair respectively. After you wash and dry yourself, there is also a station provided with the necessary amenities to dry your hair, cleanse and moisturize your face, and even callous remover cream (it works and makes your skin baby butt soft). Even though everything was done by myself for myself, I felt so pampered and happy. All it took was ignoring the surface level of your circumstances and wanting to literally immerse yourself into a one of a kind cultural experience. For obvious reasons, no photos were allowed, thus you will just have to try it out for yourself when you get the chance.

You also get to wear kawaii yakuzas, to and from this experience. To end off the night, we treated ourselves to ice cream cones and drinks from Japanese vending machines.