Last night we decided to watch a movie to kick off our weekend from our first official week of formal education. We picked a Korean movie that was playing at the Megabox theater in Sinchon and looked forward to our first movie in Korea as we were told there would be English subtitles. As it was a Friday, we had bought our tickets that afternoon and in Korea, you get to pick where you want to sit prior to watching your chosen film.

After cheesy Korean style commercials and previews, we nervously waited as we were scared there was a chance there that we be stood up by the subtitles. A wild presumption, but it was true and we did initially freak out a bit. However, as it was a Rom-Com, the amount of laughter we went through made up for the lack of understanding. It was literally R.O.F.L. (maybe not the rolling part, but LOL), I couldn't believe how hilarious this movie was! It's called Love Friction (러브픽션), about an aspiring novelist who falls in love. Obviously, I'm not the one to give you a synopsis as it would be my personal interpretation of the movie. Though, humor is not a language barrier and I can guarantee you that you'll enjoy it too. After the credits rolled, us four foreigners bursted out laughing hard and non stop-regarding the movie, but also at our ourselves. Everyone walking out of the theater stared at us, but we were left so satisfied with the movie despite understanding the minimal and not comprehending how the movie ended that we could care less. I've never laughed so much in my life after a movie.

We can't wait for this film to come out so that we can re-watch it with subs and compare our mental plot with the actual storyline. What a hysterical amount of laughing we did, enough said.

Today, we spontaneously decided to go for a hair cut as we all seem to be desperately in need of one. Upon word of mouth that Juno Hair does a great job and caters to foreigners, we went. As today is a Saturday, we didn't think we would get in, but once we entered, an employee quickly sat us down where an ipad full of hairstyles was ready for us to look at. There was minimal English involved, but when I asked for the price of our haircuts, we went for it without thinking twice.

Chloe and I were seated upstairs while Ann and Teresa were downstairs. It didn't occur to me that I had left the two with the least knowledge of Korean to fight for themselves, but it turns out that they managed very well on their own. When I met my stylist, her introduction was in English, so I thought I had scored the language barrier issue already. However, my excitement was shortly lived as she broke out in Korean the remainder of the time. With my choppy Korean, and her broken English, I managed to get a haircut. I had to wait a bit as my stylist was finishing up with a client, but the whole process lasted about 40-50 minutes. I got my hair washed, head massaged, hair dried, cut and styled all for 25000won, and as I had my student ID, it was only 20000won ($20Cad)!!! What!! It was such a fun experience too, spontaneity at its best! I had some fear in me at the beginning, but I'm very happy with my first Korean haircut. The length is chopped, but I have more layers now and my hair is much thinner too.

When we paid, they signed us up for a VIP code where we can get discounts the next time we came. The four hairdressers who styled our hair also came to wave us goodbye as they sent us off to the elevator. They all seem to have an interest in us as we were not only foreigners, but exchange students as well. The treatment was way better than any service you can get in North America, and for that price, what a steal! We're definitely set on coming back.

What can I say?

Foreigners just have more fun.

As for Sunday, my friends and I were all lucky enough to receive tickets to K-Collection, a fashion show and concert hosted at the Olympic Gymnasium Stadium. Tickets were obtained by sending your email and nationality (only open to foreigners) to their website and the first 300 foreigners would get a pair of tickets. I didn't make the list at first, but thanks to crazy fans who complained, they opened another floor of seating, hooray! I'm not a hardcore k-pop music fan, but I'm so stoked for the fashion show and being able to see Big Bang, SNSD, and so much more tomorrow. It's going to be a crazy tiring yet fantastic day tomorrow!