The art scene in Montreal is tres fantastique -from graffiti on downtown buildings to art museums and European inspired cathedrals and artists on the streets, this city is thriving with creativity

Museum of Contemporary Art

This museum is easily assessable from the Place des Arts metro station as it's right beside the station. The building itself is two floors, but you will find everything abstract, weird, captivating, and things that make you go “what is that?!” on the top floor where the main exhibit is. The museum showcases a lot of abstract artists and their respective large and 3D pieces that make you question while looking at them. There is a lot of open space for the viewer to take in that sculpture, that painting, or that word, sometimes, too much space I thought. There was also a special exhibit themed Zoo, which may have created controversy and conversation on the topic of animals, but it was oddly informative as well. This place is worth checking out, but I wouldn’t have paid to see it, so on Wednesdays when its free from 5-8pm. I wish I had some crazy artistry to show you, but no photos were allowed.

Theatre en Plain Air
I couldn’t believe there was a theatre in the middle of Parc La Fontaine, where we had our group picnic as noted in my post here. This theatre offered a variety of performances free at charge to the public and is only accessible when there is something going on. Before my arrival, I thought it would just be a stage with a couple of benches for the audience to sit and enjoy the show, but it was a legit stage with bleachers.  That night, was a collaboration between two graceful contemporary dancers and an angelic singer who played her cello. It was a great night to enjoy such artistic pieces in the park and I would love to see another show again. Great activity for a group, a date, or even if you happen to be walking in the park solo.

L’Oratoire St-Joseph
 Absolutely stunning. This giant cathedral on top of Mont Royal, within close proximity to Cote-de-Neige took my breath away. I had seen its turquoise green dome with a cross mounted at the top since I moved into dorms, but I finally checked out this place. This cathedral consisted of an array of precious gems inside. It’s the largest cathedral in Montreal I believe and astoundingly gorgeous. The huge pulpit, colourful stain glass windows, historic religious structures and paintings with religious references have made it a tourist attraction more than anything, though they still offer masses to the public. There was so many things to see and take in, and sitting in the chapel , where people were praying made the church feel so alive.
view from mid height of church

stain glass windows

Organ at back of chapel
front of chapel



Garden in front of cathedral