On Saturday, I got to go on a day trip to Quebec city. Initially, I didn’t get drawn to go as there were limited spots and only about a third of us Explore students were able to go. As a result, I woke up early to see if I could be on the waiting list, just in case anyone didn’t show up due to a late night event or had forgotten about it. I wanted to go badly as this opportunity was available and because I heard how it’s worth going as Old Quebec is such a beautiful place to experience. I thought I had arrived early, but it wasn’t early enough as I was 10th on the list and I had a feeling it be a fat chance. I knew a friend from Explore who had got permission to follow the bus with his car, but last time I check, his car was full. My friend checked again for me that morning and he actually had a spot left (Amen!). Turns out, if it wasn’t for this lucky spot, I wouldn’t have made it because only eight spots were vacant on the bus.

Going to Quebec city is about a three hour drive from Montreal if you don’t get lost (we took four hours there due to backed up traffic and rerouting), and finally arrived in Vieux (Old) Quebec, which is similar to Old Montreal. Our GPS was set in the direction of Chateau Fontenac, the aesthetically popular and expensive hotel that overlooks the body of water between old Quebec and the other side of the city. This hotel was absolutely stunning, and I can see why it be so expensive with a view such as this. It reminded me of the hotel that sits at the top of the hill in Waterton back in Alberta. Exploring the inside of this hotel made me feel I was back in the hotel in Lake Louise (Alberta) where there are many gift shops screaming Canada at you and some local products you could purchase.

At first, we walked around in circles, checking out the European-esque structures that looked too attractive and colorful to appreciate it as historic buildings, but rather, manmade tourist attractions to aid this heavily tourist populated destination. There were only a handful of franchises among the local boutiques, gift shops, and only-found-in-Quebec places. My favorite view was going to the Plains of Abraham; a military base found here with fortress high walls constructed from the past to protect the city from being invaded I presume. You’re not able to go in without participating on a guided tour, but the other option would be holding your wedding reception here as I sighted a wedding party delightfully walking out. However, we were able to walk around the area outside of the restricted area and it was on higher ground, so we captured a stunning view of Old Quebec, the water body separating it from the other side of the city, and the happy sky above us. 

I expected meals to be more expensive here (that was an obvious given), so I had packed snacks up to midday. As we didn’t sit down for lunch until 2pm, I was already quite satisfied with the snacks I had eaten. Though, we still ventured into a restaurant known as Café Buade (near the one and only Subway here) to fill us up before starting our exploration. It was their brunch menu that excited and welcomed us in, but as it was way pass brunch time, we settled for appetizers. It was an odd to time to fill up on something big and I didn’t want anything fancy, so I just ordered bruchettas. To my surprise though, it was the best bruschetta I ever had. Made to perfection, these baked (perhaps ciabatta) bread topped with fresh tomatoes on a bed of basil pesto, and topped with melted mozzarella was a blend of crunch and softness, and keepsake flavors in my mouth. 

By the time it was for us to head back, I was craving pastries and we were lucky to find Paillard, a bakery, a café soup and sandwich deli, and gelato parlour all in one. Upon walking in, I was overjoyed and had wish I ate here earlier instead. My friend got the brunch combo croissant which came with generous amounts of poached eggs, ham, and cheese. We also tried their gelato and I can’t get over the strawberry melon honey flavour I had- indulgence in the mouth! 

Overall, it was a very lovely road and day trip and I wish I had more time to spend here. If I ever get to come again, I wouldn’t mind staying overnight and checking out the rest of what this French capital has to offer in Quebec.
 C'est Bon!