This blog has been on hiatus long enough. Before I get into details of my next adventure, I have a surprising, yet beautiful gem of a place(s) I want to share from my hometown.

This past weekend was my last in Edmonton until I come back towards mid August. I decided to have some "me" time during Saturday and discovered some hidden secrets in the heart of downtown.

I love shopping local, so I headed out to the City Market which is open year round, but runs on 104 Street during the spring and summer months. I haven't visited in a while, so I took the opportunity to snack on samples, try out new foods, and browse the lineup of farmers, artists, and local business owners. Some people think farmer market are old fashion, but this is far from true. There's such an upbeat energy to them and you can spy seniors to families and even couples out on a refreshing date.
 104 street is also a fabulous destinations for one of a kind bakeries, coffee shops, boutiques (warning: heavy price tag, but no harm in looking), and unique sightings.

Through one vendor, Cloud and Lolly, (two sisters based in Edmonton who make vintage inspired jewelry), they shared with me that they had another booth at the Mercer building (which is the same building where Roast Coffeehouse is located for those of you locals reading). I was so shocked that something was going on in that building as I thought only businesses ran that place, but apparently its a smaller market located in the basement of the building that supports mainly local artists and the respective goods they make.

Fast forward a few blocks to 104 St & 104 Ave, I found the building and headed downstairs. I was so surprise to found that a place like this existed. It resembled a half finished basement but adorned with partly graffiti walls with entangled pipelines overhead. The Mercer Collective: A Maker's Market was started earlier this year and has yet to market itself publicly throughout YEG. I couldn't help but feel so excited to be there. Talking with local makers, browsing the tables of artwork, and wishing I could make more purchases than my wallet would like, I knew this was a share-worthy place!


On Sunday, I was ecstatic to be going to Cirque du Soleil Amaluna with my parents. Another thing I love is artistic performances of all kinds- from acrobats to dancing to drama. If I had more disposable income, I definitely splurge on the growing art scene here. Pictures weren't allowed, but photos won't capture the beauty of this show. The dramatic costumes and makeup added to the dimension of drawing the viewer into the world of Amaluna. Jaw dropping, flying acrobats putting you to the edge of your seat, contortionists that made you question how in the world they're able to bend like that, life threatening stunts that seem surreal to the non-performer, and a visual love story unfolded near perfection in the midst of gravity fighting balances and leaps.

If you know me, you would be stunned at how quiet I was as my visual and auditory senses were too busy to let my mouth let out even a gasp. As popular as Cirque du Soleil is, they definitely live up to their name. I would definitely recommend watching a Cirque show! I didn't get to when I was in their hometown of Montreal, but I'm so thankful that my heart's intent was granted last night.

It's ironic to me how I'm somewhat boasting about my hometown when I would give anything to leave this city a few years ago and blog about a bigger and livelier destination. Much appreciation has been found lately and I can't wait to keep sharing YEGems when I return. To non-locals, we are much more than what locals (sadly) have coined us "Deadmonton."

Well, what's next you may ask? Keep phollowing for details to come in my next post!