Having lived here for over a month now, there's been a lot of processing going on from all the insightful knowledge and enlightening experiences I've been bless to go through. Most reflections refer to my stay in Manhattan, though some thoughts trail into the city of greater New York (Brooklyn/Queens/Islands).


NYC Food

is just SO GOOD With any big city, food is abundant on the streets, on every block, and everywhere you go, you can't possibly go hungry... ever, without drooling over gourmet aroma or palatable sights. As New York is famous for pretty much a never ending list of go-to places due to the fact that eateries have been in films and celebrity chefs who open their signature restaurants in the Big Apple first, you have locals and tourists flocking near and far to satisfy their excited appetite. However, I find that even street eats and hole-in-the-wall places have their own standard of unique taste catered to the die heart foodie as well (affordable and yummy to your tummy!). Thus, it is safe to assume that I haven't been cooking in as much as I had expected. It also so happens to be the bi-annual NY Restaurant Week, where $25 (lunch) and $43 (dinner) gets you a three course meal from top chef restaurants to one of a kind eateries. FYI, Restaurant week here lasts almost a month long, so book ahead to ensure you have a spot as reservations go quick.... and the wallet does too (beware).


NYC Sights

Known as one of the busiest and liveliest city that never sleeps, there are also endless activities for someone on a temporary stay, let alone a tourist. From museums to Broadway shows to parks, to even islands nearby, there is just tons to see. Manhattan in itself is really small (it is an island after all) and so even walking around can bring much interest to the eye. Take today for example, my friend and I walked from 4th street to 39th street in the span of four ish hours. It wasn't boring at all as there were pit stops on the way and random places that caught our eye. It also felt refreshing to not take the subway as destinations are of a walkable distance if you have the time (and a healthier option too!).

However, as popular as things can be, there are some places that are overrated and not worth your time going to. Last weekend, we ventured to the Brooklyn Flea Market, which seemed like a neat initial idea judging by their website, but from first hand experience, things weren't "flea" pricing and there wasn't a wide selection of goods to choose from. As a result, I would definitely recommend reading some online reviews before checking out a 'hotspot'.


NYC Life

Living here as an intern, I've been observing those who work full time in this city and how one's lifestyle is occupied by a lot of working hours and unpaid over time. I find New Yorkers hardworking and this is not to say that other people in other places aren't, but the demand to find work here, maintain one's work, and with the nature work here (many corporate companies, headquarters of major brands) comes much workload for one to accomplish. I admire the work ethics of New Yorkers and its been such an insightful (and at times, tiring) learning experience with so much going on. Hours can be long as mentioned, stress levels high, and a hectic workplace can really take you away from social and family time. I've met people of all backgrounds who have made hefty sacrifices to live and work in the city. Some I sense a chase of the American Dream, others, just to get a taste of the Apple. Wages may be higher, but the cost of living here is also high and a major factor to take into consideration when deciding to move here long term.


NYC People

Tourists are abundant. As a Canadian, I feel I should be accustom to the diversity, but everywhere you look, work, or go, you hear a different accent, see foreigners asking for directions, and learn to embrace the multitude of travelers that come to the Big Apple year round. It's ironic I'm mentioning this as I'm one of them myself, but its also really cool how friendly and engaging everyone is as there isn't a "typical" New Yorker image that comes to mind with such a beautiful and cultured makeup of a city. It's rare that I meet someone born, raised, and now working in NYC as most people have moved here for work after college, are traveling through the city, or interning for the summer like me. Though, I must admit that the hustle and bustle of the city can get annoying with subways frequently packed, crowds of people lining up at famous food chains/bakeries, and the jacked up pricing of certain events as they know tourists will be willing to pay for it regardless of the hefty price tag.


With a few more weeks to go, I look forward to more explorations and insights to share on this blog. I'm beyond thankful to have this opportunity and I will continue to embrace all that there is for me to  eat, see, do, learn and meet!