You shouldn't be surprise that I'm going to tell you the second day only gets better harhar.

So our day started behind schedule and with the group of us half asleep, shivering (I forgot how cold it can be on a mountain but good thing I brought pants) and us uncertain of when our jeeps would arrive as we waited outside our accommodations.
 Indonesians either aren't very good with being on time, or it's just this tour. Finally half an hour late, jeeps which by the look wouldn't have passed Canadian vehicle standards arrived and we were on our way to Mount Pananjakan. I was in a jeep with two pairs of German couples-way to fifth wheel right? Anyhow I thought I would be able to catch some sleep during the hour or so ride but turns out not only was I not able to sleep, but I had to be fully alert sans seatbelt in the front passenger seat and pray to God that this treacherous ride up a windy mountainous road and maximum safety risks would come to an end. The roads were crazy and there were so many jeeps going up to this mount and with such narrow roads, I couldn't believe jeeps were still trying to pass each other. Finally after what seemed like a heart attack of life and death, we've arrived and parked behind a traffic jam of parked jeeps and motorcyclists whom were there to drive people up the remainder of the way if they didn't want to walk-at a cost of course. Well we opted to walk and I totally didn't expect this steep and rough of a climb up to the viewing point. At 4:30 am I was not in the shape or alert enough for this. Plus my heart rate was increasing quick due to the heightened elevation as well.
The lineup of jeeps all the way up
So after huffing and lugging my legs up, there was a mass of people already reserving their viewpoint spots. Some people must've came earlier or stayed overnight it seems.Tourists, locals, mobs of people everywhere with their cameras ready and in your face. What happened to April being a low season for travelling Asia? As the sunset was coming up I thought people would leave after seeing it and that the crowd would die down, but turns out I was wrong and the crowding and fighting for spots just got worse. People can be quite rude and obnoxious and hog a spot for long so if you are short like me you especially just have to be assertive and ask people to move (in a nice way) and let you take some photos.


Was it worth it? After a treacherous drive, tiring trek, impatiently beating through the crowds and finally getting to stand where the railing was facing the skyline-I have to say YES. I couldn't believe the view I saw. It was like heaven on Earth with the clouds (and probably sulphur as I learned later) casting a wispy and dreamy atmosphere with mountain peaks coming through as the sun lit up the sky and casted away the night scene of sparkling stars and a crescent moon. It was so surreal-ly beautiful. I think this tops the ocean front view I saw in a Taiwan 5 years ago where the sky was streaks of blues, lilac and orangey pinks.

And this was only part I of II viewpoints.

Next we drove to the base of Mount Bromo. A thick odour took overtook our senses as we realized it was a heavy smell of sulphur in the air being released as Bromo is an active volcano. Once again we needed to trek to the top and instead of motorcyclists this time, there are horses you can pay to ride to the top. I felt bad for the horses...they were probably suffering from the sulphur intoxication and perhaps even unwilling to carry anyone as they looked tired and not desiring to gallop back and forth. The scene was filled with a thick coating of smog and this mustn't have been good for one's health, especially the higher you trekked. Most people looked liked bandits with their faces covered with masks or scarves as to breathe sulphur at its minimum.

This trek wasn't as steep but it's not for the unfit either (though doable even if you are out of shape like me-my legs were shaking by the end of it). It's not the smoothest walk and the whole way is unpaved black sand and horse poop so I would recommend a horse. You can probably imagine how many horses were here. At the base of the mount there is a narrow staircase that leads you to the very top with just a railing for you hold your ground-scary I know.

Finally the peak! I couldn't believe the lack of railings and security measures...one unfortunate slip and you might plummet right into the volcano. The sulphur smell was deathly up here, but worth the temporary sacrifice of health for the view. I really felt on top of the world and I saw some dare devils walked narrowly inwards towards the circumference of Bromo to take photos. Never have I ever seen anything quite like it. I was in between the beauty of God's creation, the airy clouds, and of course sulphur infused air which  was not pleasant at all.

After such a beautiful mess of a journey I felt like nothing could've gone worse or lacked expectations anymore as much had already been unexpected in a negative manner (in terms of the unwritten itinerary and commute). I thought too fast as shortly after we headed out from breakfast, not only did we have one, but two flat tires with later a third and final incident causing a breakdown to our van or else we just ran out of tires to replace it. It was ridiculous and humorously insane. Only in Indonesia I tell you. I'm still amazed at how well I took all this, definitely a story to share from here on. An hour later a replacement mini van came to the rescue And we are on our way again.

What a journey it has been. I'm being sarcastic when I say I'm looking forward to day 3 of this ridiculously crazy tour.