Yogyakarta (or Jogyakarta/Jogja) NOT Jakarta.

Some people tend to mix up the two or just assume I meant to say I'm going to the latter rather than the former when I tell them. I don't blame them as before this trip, and before being educated on Indonesia's geography, I never knew what or where Yogyakarta is either. So here's a short lesson, Yogy for short is the capital of the central region on the island of Java, Indonesia (Jakarta on the other hand is the capital and largest city of Indoneisa,  hence the familiarity of the name). I chose Yogy for a couple of reasons. First, I knew capitals and big, popular cities tend to be modernized, crowded, and touristy as with my first hand experience in Kuala Lumpur. Also, by this point of my travels in SEA (mid way already =( ) I figured I probably be sick of city life, so I opted to experience the more local and authentic side of a country. Yogy is also considered to be quite the Javanese art scene with its multitude of batik artists, dance shows, music etc. and lastly, I had to choose a more central location on Java as my main reason for travelling to Indonesia is to take a tour to Mount Bromo and the Ijen Crater, both presently active and from what I hear, stunningly natural forms.

What I didn't expect from Yogy was feeling so foreign. Maybe my lighter skin colour, western way of dressing, and mannerisms stood out or something, but I felt like everywhere I went eyes would be directed upon me. Never have I felt so out of place in an 'Asian' country. I guess in Malaysia and Singapore, Chinese people were abundant, and in Cambodia, there was a bigger population of tourists to look at, but I'm definitely a minority and foreign specie here. I had a tour with a becak shortly after I arrived (a pedi cab/ bike taxi where your driver is biking you from behind and you are sitting in a mini carriage like seat (not fancy at all btw)) and I felt quite intimidated at first. Not only was I facing on coming traffic (unlike in Cambodia where the driver is in front on tuk tuk rides), people would eye me from their motorcycle or driver's seat as my driver biked passed them. When I walked into a local restaurant (which I thought would have tourists), I realized it was all locals inside and I felt like everyone was watching me walk in and sit down at a table on my own; I even caught some glances while I ate.

Anyhow, it is what it is, an experience and in places where I'm bound to stand out, it's only because the sight of foreigners are few and curiosity just leads to one staring more. I guess if I saw someone looking very exotic back home I would probably take a second look as well to be fair.

My driver was very friendly though. I learned that he wants to improve his English and learn new languages so he chooses to park in front of my guesthouse to get business from foreigners. Though I felt like I was breathing in way too much second hand smoke (another reason I was scared for my life in the becak as he kept smoking (though I did tell him its unhealthy and he just chuckled)), he was very sweet and would cater to where I wanted to go, gave me mini history lessons, and even said he would take any amount of payment as he thought I was very nice at the end!

On  my mini tour of Yogy, I stopped at a Batik shop where I was given a tour of this local art form. I know I went to the Batik Painting Museum in Penang, but hearing from a local artist about the amount of detail and time it takes to make a piece was very enriching and made me even more appreciative of batik art. Learning that they don't earn very much as the money goes to charity and back to the community (a cost of a large scale batik design is only $42-think about how much paintings cost in North America), I felt guilt tripped into buying a smaller piece. However, I do like what I purchased, and knowing it goes to a good cause justified it a tad more for me.
The artist & his batik piece

I got this one!
Tomorrow I start my tour which consists of a twelve hour drive to Mount Bromo. I hope I don't get antsy and lose patience, but it will call for some lengthy reflections and quality time with myself as much rest is needed. Thus, the rest of tonight was of rest and practicing swimming as there's a lovely pool just outside my room! Yeahhh!

Pray for safe, healthy and joyous travels here on for me please! My body is no longer feeling weak or bloated, but somehow I caught the coughs ugh. Never thought I say this, but best part of getting the coughs is buying this medicine from Watson's Pharmacy in Singapore called Duro-Tuss-it's apricot flavour and the most delicious medicine I ever had! Trust me and try it!
A medicinal fruit- quite unique don't you think?