KUL has been the lab rat of my travelling lifestyle adjustment as it was my first stop, but I couldn't be  more excited to announce where I am now!

Siem Reap (pronounced 'rep'), Cambodia was one of the top place I knew I had to jet set to as the beauty of the temples and blog stories I read convinced me that a first hand experience would do it justice even more than what I had researched. Even though it will be the shortest place I'm staying in, I'm thankful that I was able to squish it into my SEA route and make some precious memories in this "Land of Smiles".

First thing I did after landing? Get a massage done by a visually impaired lady. Not only because I was lacking sleep from a 2:30am journey and wanted a cheap massage (only 6 US for an hour), I wanted to give back to the community and support those that are visually impaired as there is an institution here call 'Seeing Hands' that trains those born without sight to provide massage services to earn a living. So I got a tuk tuk (open air taxis that are super affordable to commute by-google them for a better description), to drive me there. Not going to lie, the outside of the place was in a narrow alley and super rundown and couldn't have been less sketched, but this young girl welcomed me (the masseuse's daughter) and without further adieu her mom got started in preparing the massage bed in that room (you keep your clothes on btw). She was VERY good and I couldn't have felt more relaxed from my tired travels. When I was done, her husband came in the room and I realized he was visually impaired too. I told her I gave her a 10 US instead of just 6 US and she was so happy (and I was ridiculously  overjoyed too).

I couldn't have felt more pampered so without hesitation upon seeing a large tank of 'Dr.Fish' (fish that eat your dead skin cells) in a tank a few stores down called Pure Vida (a foreigner owned franchise) I jumped on the idea. And for 3 US for 30minutes how could I say no? I had had this done before in Seoul two years ago and thought 9000 won was cheap (~$9), but a third of the price and fishes ten times as big didn't make me think twice. As the fishes were so large I felt like they were smooching my feet and ankle and it felt super tinklish at first, but shortly after, I was enjoying this fun experience and now my feet are super soft!
Fish Amok
Later on I explored the area of my hostel (The Siem Reap Hostel) which is in a very awesome location and is also very very nice-I definitely recommend them. It's close to all the places I had wanted to go and for those farther, a tuk tuk could easily take me there. Despite getting a natural bath of sweat from being under the 36C sun, I sighted Central Market, wandered into Alley West (a street of local boutiques that give back and supports the community) and found myself in the quieter day scene of Pub Street. I know I'm trying to keep my luggage weight at its minimal, but I couldn't stop shopping. Everything was crazy cheap, bargain-able, made in Cambodia, and most items purchased gives back to the community or helps those in need. What I love (already) about Siem Reap is how there are so many organizations that help the local people to support themselves-ether it be arts and crafts, ceramics, clothing, or services, I think these organizations are as abundant as temples here.
One of the socially responsible boutiques

BEAUTIFUL ARTWORK
I don't know where Cambodia stands in the rankings of third world countries, but I've already sighted a handful of disabled adults and kids in the markets who would try to sell you unique novelties to help their family out I assume. Though, it definitely is a Land of Smiles as everyone I've met so far is super friendly and approachable. I enjoy conversing with store owners, employees, and tuk tuk drivers a lot. They all think I'm from China though and don't understand how I'm Canadian but not 'white'.

Tonight I'm off to the Aspara dinner and dance show-one of the most popular performances here in the city, so more on that later!