Don't do as the Romans do!

Perhaps my love for Greece just doesn't give Rome an unbiased perspective, or Rome is just bitter sweet itself. I love the city, the architecture, and all the things to eat and see, but the service, the politics of things, and the people really disappointed me. I realize how much I dislike crowds of tourists and over rated things, so this can easily get you (and the locals/employees) impatient and mad when waiting for a long time in line just to discover that you are at the wrong ticket pickup office due to lack of signage or that the communication of information is misleading and lacking as with our pre bought tickets to the Colosseum, Palatine Hills and the Roman Forum.
Despite the annoyances of the lacking Italian service, the Colosseum is a must. Make sure to pre buy tickets and even print them out in advance if you can. Rest assured, you don't want to be waiting for hours just to purchase-the line for tickets wrapped around the Colosseum so plan ahead to avoid wasting time!! As one of the 7 wonders of the world, the Colosseum didn't disappoint and just gazing at it was a historic education for the eyes. The Roman Forum and Palatine Hills are in the same place and there's a lot to see in this area alone. However, we left for lunch after exploring a third of the place and assumed our " two day pass" would allow for unlimited access in the span of 48 hours...turns out, once you've been admitted once, your pass is over and there are no exceptions. Thus, another disappointing point to Rome and the explanation didn't justify it... definitely a lesson learnt for us and so many others.
On the bright side, good thing Rome is a walking museum as walking around made up for the places we didn't get to see with the pass. We sighted the Ministry of Culture and Heritage, a grand white marble building, but remain proper here as the guards are strict and keeps a tight eye on what you are doing...even sitting on the steps aren't allowed. The Trevi Fountain was unexpectedly shocking... because we got there to the sight of a barricade around it with a bridge built for tourists to walk through. Turns out, it is under renovation for a year, so no coin tossing, no grandeur monument, when in Rome moment- just a line of tourists trying to see it up close on the bridge.

I should note that Rome is ridiculously populated with tour groups, thus by the time we got to the Spanish Steps, we were burnt out and didn't admire it as much as there were people everywhere which makes it tiring to try to get a decent photo or spend time without people in the way.

I feel this blog is way too depressing, but the highlight was finally making it to Travestere unlike the night before. An upbeat neighbourhood of delicious eats where the locals go, we were so impress and jealous of the quality and prices! You can get a four course meal here as cheap as 10 euros! Crazy right!? You realize how jacked up tourist areas are and how incomparable food can be until you explore local grounds. We waited to eat at a place call Castomenta due to the obvious lineup and crowd willing to wait for a table outside. The pizza and tiramisu I devoured was one of the best pizza and tiramisu  I've had and at 5 and 3 euros respectively, I was so pleased. Turns out it was a trip advisor recommendation and my friends and I have been lucky to come across this and others that are also trip advisors recommended on this trip. They tend to be of delicious quality and decent pricing, so a sure sign for tourists to count on. The streets in Travestere also has tables set up for local crafties selling their jewellery and other handmade items. Travestere not only redeemed the day for us, but I would come back here just to eat!
Another hidden gem is San Crispino, an award winning gelato placed tucked in Via Della Paneteria. My friend had recommended it to me and though service is lacking, you know it's good when the lids cover the aesthetic appeal of the gelato (whereas other gelato shops display the gelato mountain high) yet still has a consistent flow of traffic. Taste for sure wins and my honey and chestnut flavours were as rare as gold.

I know I mentioned travelling with three other friends and staying in hotels is not my ideal nor my preferred way, but I need to give a shout out to a concierge from the Sheraton Roma. Otello, who has worked there for over twenty years went above and beyond to assist us and had an impeccable memory for names. If anything, he made my trip to Rome remarkable and you know and can sense when someone works and delights in their job passionately. I never thought I be a girl so picky about service, but it does make or break an experience.