I have always wanted to experience living in dorms on campus. For one thing, I always felt you get more out of your post secondary experience as it would be more convenient for you to stay late at school or partake in more extracurricular activities/join clubs due to the shorter distance to get home. Well, at least for me, as I'm not the type of student that lingers longer than the duration of my classes or like to stay late unless I have to (but, I'm slowly learning to overcome this).

Being able to be an exchange student automatically signed me up for living in residence on campus. There were two choices for me, having a room with a washroom and shower in it, or a fridge. I chose the former as I rather have the convenience and cleanliness of my own bathroom and share a communal kitchen (with the risk of my own food being stolen) than share a communal bathroom and have food kept in a cool and bacteria-free place (as Korea tends to have a hot climate in the spring/summer, food spoils easily). I will be sharing a room and bathroom with an unknown roommate as of present and now that I'm in the shoes of a student anticipating to move into dorms, I'm starting to reflect on how life will be like sharing a room possibly smaller than my own bedroom. There will be less freedom for sure, and I will have to adjust to my mysterious roomie's sleeping patterns or potential annoying habits. I really hope and pray that I will get an accommodating and easy going roommate, though I was reminded the other day that you usually don't end up being too close as friends with your roommate as you will usually have to face this person everyday; and as human as we all are, you'll eventually get bored of each other. Also, knowing every hygienic and day to day details of that person sleeping across from the room from you may not be a friendly characteristic. Another tip I got was that you probably don't want to room with someone you know as once again, you may not want to learn all the nitty gritty things about so and so.

Another issue on my mind is the lack of space I'll have. I usually like to plop myself onto a couch in a living room and make myself comfortable with all the space I have-homework on the table, backpack on the floor, food from the kitchen and so on. With just half a room to myself and not a spacious house I take for granted, that might mean having to go into the shared common area or library to do my work. It's not a big deal, but another common thing with any on campus living is the noise and partying that goes on. I don't know what the dorm living culture or population at Yonsei will be like, but here's to crossing my fingers and hoping I can still concentrate and focus on my studies, despite being in an environment where more exciting and fun things will be calling my name (as if being in a whole new country was hard enough, here's another obstacle already).

Lastly, and this topic will deserve a post all to itself later on, is my limitations in bringing my necessities and "stuff" to my dorm room during my stay there. Luggage restrictions is one thing, but its definitely going to be hard to filter and cut down what I don't need vs. want to bring to Korea.

Three weeks left. Here it goes.